National Research Council of Canada. NRC Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information
Text, Corporate Report
The NRC-CISTI library had its beginnings in 1924, when a small resource collection was established to serve the scientific staff of the newly organized laboratories of the National Research Council of Canada. The pioneering chief librarian, Margaret Gill, was appointed in 1928. The first president, Dr. H.M. Tory made it clear from the outset, however, that he intended to create “a library that would serve scientific workers everywhere in Canada.” During her 30 years, Miss Gill built up one of the strongest collections of scientific journals in Canada. NRC and its library moved in 1932 to its new location on Sussex Drive.